Ottoman beds are increasingly popular for those seeking extra bedroom storage that’s easy to access. Ottoman beds have internal storage that covers the entire space under your bed, with access from the end or side by way of a gas-lift and hinge mechanism. These make light work of lifting your mattress and covers by hand. Pistons also keep the bed lifted until you’re ready to place the mattress back down, giving you two free hands to access your things.
Ottoman Bed Buying Guide
Part of completing your dream bedroom is having a bed that is comfortable but also suits the needs of your space. Ottoman beds use the large amount of space between your mattress and the floor that is often neglected. This space provides an ideal area for storing anything from spare bedding and towels to shoes and handbags.
When choosing an ottoman storage bed, there are certain factors you should consider before settling on your decision. In this ottoman bed buying guide, we will ensure that you are making the right choice.
(1) What is an Ottoman bed base?
An ottoman bed base is a style of base that allows the platform top part, where the mattress sits, to be lifted up, which allows for far greater storage space than a 4 drawer divan base. These have become more popular as space in people’s houses is increasingly at a premium. Ottoman beds allow you to store far more items within it and aren’t as restrictive as some drawers in a divan base can be, such as a two-drawer model to allow for bedside tables. Think of it as a chest where the mattress sits on the lid, and then by lifting up the lid you can raise the mattress up allowing you to use the box frames of the bases to store things in.
(2) What sizes are available for an ottoman bed frame?
Ottoman storage beds are available in a range of sizes: single, double, king, super king size. So you’re sure to find a stylishly practical bed to suit a bedroom of any size
- Single ‐ For small bedrooms, a single ottoman bed is ideal. When space is at a premium, having extra space to keep items is a huge bonus. When the storage is contained within part of the bed that is usually unused, it’s even better!
- Double – A double ottoman bed gives you enough space to share a bed comfortably with your partner while also providing ample room beneath to keep your things.
- Small Double – If you don’t have enough room to accommodate a double. A small double ottoman averages at 15cm narrower than a double, meaning it will fit in smaller bedrooms.
- King size – At 200cm tall and 150cm wide, an ottoman king size bed provides plenty of sleeping space as well as an abundance of storage within the bed frame.
- Super King size – For ultimate luxury, a super king size ottoman can’t be beaten. This frame boasts an 180cm wide base, allowing you ample room to store things.
(3) What are the benefits of ottoman beds?
Ottoman beds offer the most space out of all storage bed bases, with a lift‐up lid which makes use of all the space the frame provides. When you consider all the things you have to keep in your bedroom (especially if you share it with a partner), it can be a real struggle to fit it all in without limiting the size of your bedroom furniture . An ottoman storage bed solves a lot of those issues with the vast space provided, designed specifically for storage.
As well as for couples, ottoman storage beds can work particularly well for children that share a bedroom. The extra storage gives your kids a place to put away their things neatly without having to fight over wardrobe space or having bulky toy boxes taking up valuable floor space in the bedroom.
(4) Choosing your ottoman bed style
The construction of ottoman beds means they are upholstered, giving your bedroom an added texture and high‐quality finish.
Some ottoman beds come with headboards , ranging from fresh, contemporary styles with squared edges in neutral mink, to vintage, romantic styles with buttons in grey fabric. There are also leather, velvet and woven fabrics to choose from to ensure you get a style that suits your décor perfectly.
For the ultimate luxury and comfort, a TV ottoman bed might be the right choice for you. These have a TV in the foot-end that is raised and lowered using a remote control, allowing you to have the perfect cosy weekend lie in.
Best Divan Bed Review
Why is Divan bed perfect? Because it occupies less space than bed frame and most divan bed include built-in storage. Divan beds are suitable for bedrooms with limited space because they are only wide enough for the mattress it holds.
(5) Pros & Cons of Ottoma Beds
Ottoman beds offer you practical storage solutions without sacrificing style. Beds with lift-up bases for hidden storage space that also offer maximum comfort night after night.
As with any new purchase, it is worth looking at the pros and cons to determine if it is the right style for your needs:
- It will help keep your bedroom tidy and maximise the space available.
- Adds to the overall design of the room, giving a clean and elegant finish.
- Reduced clutter means reduced dust, making the room easier to keep clean.
- When full of belongings, making it harder to move around when cleaning or redesigning the layout of the room.
Some would say that the pros outweigh the cons, but it is very much dependent on your individual circumstances.
Ottoman beds offer huge amounts of storage space without compromising on style and comfort. With hidden under-bed storage, ottoman beds are a great choice if you have a smaller bedroom and need to store extra bedding or clothes.
If you aren’t quite convinced by ottoman beds for storage, there are plenty of other storage beds you can choose. Similar, but generally cheaper, are divan beds . Like ottomans, they take advantage of the space between your mattress and floor. The only difference is this storage space is accessible via drawers at the side of the bed, as opposed to lifting the mattress.